Miter saws are potent tools to help you make angled or crosscuts. They come with various features and functionalities to support the woodworkers, DIYers, and artisans in meeting their proficiency.
Now, the miter saws are available in various range of blade types and sizes. Among them, 10-inch and 12-inch are the most popular sizes available in the market.
The question is, between these two variants, which one will you choose to meet your specific requirements? This article will highlight the advantages, disadvantages, and primary differences of these two types.
You will also get a detailed review of some of the leading saws of both types. Finally, I am sure this article will help you decide which one will be the perfect choice to suit your purpose.
Let you dive in to figure out one according to your requirements and tastes.
The 10-inch Miter Saw
It is going to be one of the most famous miter saws available in the market. They are available in an affordable price range in many powers tool stores. Therefore, you can get them very quickly.
The manufacturers design this blade very well to ensure a smooth cutting. It is compatible with both softwood and hardwood. On the other hand, this 10-inch miter saw is lightweight and comes in a compact size.
Therefore, you can easily carry it with you to your convenient workplace. Moreover, these miter saws are available in a wide variety to allow you to choose according to your style.
Most interestingly, it will help you do different projects, including- plywood or any other material cutting up to the highest thickness and depth limit of your blade.
Also, this lightweight miter saw comes with a higher RPM speed to make it spin as fast as a 12-inch blade to deliver a smooth and fine cut. Besides, this fine cut will help you to make the trim board joint hassle-free.
The 12-inch Miter Saw
12-inches miter saws come with some added advantages over the former ones. They are strongly built and can cut even the wide and thick boards very efficiently.
Moreover, this miter saw has higher teeth per inch (TPI) ratings, like- 24, 60, and 80. Therefore, it will help the 12-inches miter saws to make more delicate cuts than the 10-inches.
A 12-inches miter saw is strongly built, a little heavy, and is pricier than the 10-inches. Also, it comes with a powerful motor to help you make the thick and wide cuttings hassle-free.
These motors allow you to cut up to 7.5-inches thick plywood very efficiently. Most importantly, these blades come with an excellent lifespan to help you to save your money.
It does not mean that you can perform all kinds of wood cutting tasks using a 12-inch miter saw. However, it is suitable mainly for larger woodworking projects. It is because you can use a high-grade 10-inch saw to do the smaller projects.
The performance of both the miter saws will depend on the specifications of each one. But how will you decide which miter saw is better and suitable for you?
For this, we are going to discuss all the specifications and features of both saws. So please go through to make a uniform decision.
- Weight: 10-inches miter saws are usually small in size than the 12-inches. Also, the 12-inch saws are strongly built and are available in large sizes.
Therefore, these large-sized units must be heavy than the 10-inches. For example, a 10-inch tool weighs only 25-pounds, whereas a 12-inch tool can be up to 56-pounds.
So, a 10-inch miter saw will be a perfect choice for those looking for a lightweight and portable tools. It is because you can easily take this tool with you wherever you want.
- Spinning speed: The blade of a 10-inch saw can move faster than a 12-inch blade at a specific power. For instance, a 10-inch blade can move faster than the 12-inch tool if you consider three horsepower motor.
That indicates you can make smooth and fine angled cuts using a 10-inch miter saw. The primary reason for this is that a 10-inch saw comes with 5,000 RPM speed, whereas a 12-inch one has only 3,800 RPM.
Those who want smooth and fine cuts should choose the 10-inch miter saw blades.
- Cutting performance: A 10-inch miter saw is indeed compact than a 12-inch. Therefore, a 10-inch saw allows you to cut up to 6-inches thick materials.
So, this lightweight 10-inch miter saw is suitable for smaller woodcutting projects, like- molding or trimming. On the other hand, for those who want to make thicker cuts, 12-inch saws will be the right choice.
It is because 12-inches miter saws come with powerful motors to make them more significant projects done.
- Availability: There are various 10-inch models available in the market. Therefore, this tool is offering you to choose according to your style and taste.
S, you can avail a 10-inch miter saw easily in the market at an affordable price range. But you cannot find a 12-inch blade easily in the market. Besides, it would help if you sharpened these 12-inches blades frequently.
- Durability: The 12-inch miter saws are certainly sturdy than the former one. It will enhance their durability as well. So, you can use them to complete the larger woodworking projects.
So, if you are searching for a durable miter saw for your upcoming projects, you can go with 12-inches options.
- Versatility: A 12-inch miter saw allows you to fit a 10-inch blade with it. Therefore, you can consider a 12-inch saw to be a versatile option. But it is not possible with a 10-inch saw.
You can never fit a 12-inch blade in your 10-inches saw.
- Tables: 10-inch saws are suitable for small projects and come with a small table surface. On the other hand, the 12-inch tool has a larger table surface and is compatible with larger woodcutting projects.
You should consider your working surface well before choosing one for your project.
- Adjustability: When you are making the bevel cuts, you need to adjust your miter saws. A 10-inch miter saw comes with the 0-52-degree right, and 0-45-degree left adjustable capability.
Related Post: 10 Best Electrician Tool Pouches
Thus, you can adjust this tool as per your requirement to do an accurate bevel cut. In addition, the 12-inches blade has extra adjustability. It comes with 0-50-degree left and 0-60-degree good adjustability.
That indicates you can make more angled cuts with a 12-inch miter than a 10-inch one. So, 12-inches miter saws are more suitable to make the angled cuts.
- Cost: You need to expense a little more to purchase a 12-inch saw than the 10-inch. Also, a 12-inch miter saw is compatible with larger projects. Besides, the replacement of the saw is pricier too.
So, a 12-inches saw it is expensive than the counterpart. But, on the other hand, you can avail a 10-inch saw at an affordable range. So, those who are looking for a lightweight and inexpensive tool can choose the 10-inch saws.
Some of the leading 10-inch Miter Saw Review
1. Metabo HPT 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw (C10FCGS)
The C10FCGS 15amp 10-inch miter saw is an excellent versatile tool to help the framers and woodworkers. This motor comes with 5,000 RPM speed to help you with even the most challenging tasks without hassle.
It is lightweight to help you quickly carry it with you to your workspace. Moreover, it comes with a 0-45-degree left bevel range to offer good proficiency.
A clamping mechanism is present that allows you to hold your workpiece securely in place. In addition, it has been designed with thumb-controlled miter saws to make the blade adjustments accordingly.
You will also find a dust collector present in this unit to keep your workspace clean and tidy. Most interestingly, you are going to have a 5-years tool warranty with the purchase.
- It comes with a 15amp motor
- Enabled with 0-52-degree miter angle range
- A clamping mechanism is present
- Designed with a horizontal handle
- Provides 5-years tool warranty
2. DEWALT Miter Saw (DWS713)
The DWS713 10-inch miter saw is a beautiful combination of durability and efficiency that comes with a powerful motor and 5,000 RPM speed. In addition, the manufacturers use high-grade stainless steel to enhance both the durability and longevity of the saw.
You will find a knob lock is present in this tool to help you easily make the adjustments. In addition, it is lightweight and available in a compact size, and has an in-built handle to ensure easy transportation.
It also comes with a vertical clamp to help you securely hold your workpiece in a position. In addition, it comes with 0-48-degree left and 0-3-degree right bevel angles. Also, 14-positive miter stops are there to make the adjustability hassle-free.
The manufacturers attach a dust bag to keep the floor safe and clean. Most importantly, you will have a 1-year free service along with a 3-year limited warranty and a 3-months money-back warranty.
- Made with high-grade stainless steel
- It comes with 0-48-degree left and 0-3-degree right bevel angles
- 15amp powerful motor
- Designed with an in-built carry handle
- Provides 3-year limited warranty
Some of the 20-inch Miter Saws Review
1. DEWALT 12-Inch Miter Saw (DWS715)
The Dewalt DWS715 is an excellent tool to help both professionals and hobbyists. Most surprisingly, you will never face power issues with this tool. In addition, it is very much user-friendly and comes with the excellent build quality.
Moreover, the manufacturers designed this miter saw to help you make your angles more accurate. Most interestingly, this fine miter saw you can get at an affordable range.
Dewalt DWS715 comes with a powerful motor along with 4,000 RPM speed to offer an efficient task. Also, this tool allows you to tilt its blade both right and left.
Besides, this miter saw comes with a firm and sturdy base to offer accuracy. You are also going to have a solid fence level to receive proficiency. You may only face this miter saw because it does not have a sound dust collector chamber.
- Made with stainless-steel
- It comes with solid fence support
- It comes with 0-48-degree left and 03-degree right bevel angles
- Designed with 15amp motor along with 4,000 RPM speed
- The in-built carry handle is present
2. Metabo HPT 12-Inch Compound Miter Saw (C12FDHB)
The Metabo C12FDHB 12-inch miter saw will be the next good choice for framers, carpenters, and woodworkers. It is such an efficient tool that allows you to cut up to a 7-inches board.
Most interestingly, it comes with a 52-degree miter range and 48-degree bevel angle to both left and right sides. It is well-constructed and is available in a portable size to help carpenters with easy transportation.
It comes with a 15amp powerful motor along with 4,300 RPM speed to deliver efficiency. Moreover, the manufacturers’ designed this miter saw with an LED Shadow Line system to help you make an accurate cut.
You will also find bevel stops in it to make the adjustments hassle-free and fast. Besides, Metabo C12FDHB is going to provide a 2-year Lithium-ion tool warranty.
- Designed with LED Shadow Line system
- It comes with extensive and robust base support
- An ergonomically shaped handle is present
- 15amp powerful motor along with 4,300 RPM speed
- Enabled with a wide range of both bevel and miter angles
So, those who do not have a budget limit can go with the 12-inches miter saw. Again, though, it is also true that the blades of both types can do various tasks. But the 12-inches tool will help you make more efficient angled cuts.
Also, a 12-inch saw will allow you to fix both 10-inch and 12-inch blades with it to make it a versatile tool. On the other hand, you can get a 10-inch saw at a reasonable range and is suitable for smaller projects.
Therefore, please choose the miter saw according to your project size and requirements. It would help if you considered both the advantages and disadvantages before making a decision.
It will help you to make your cutting not only accurate but also accessible. I am sure this article has helped you a lot to make a uniform decision. Happy working!